Percy and the Split Axles

We’re coming to the home stretch of Percy’s story. After months of experiments, I have finally landed on a plan for Percy’s wheels that should work more permanently than the plans I had for #622 or #10.

It was time to put it to the test, and so, I turned up some tyres, assembled some axles, found the old crank-pins, and printed some fresh wheel centres. Then I put them all together with Loctite 271 and dropped them into a Percy chassis. The connecting rods slipped into place satisfyingly easily, and the retaining pins fit on like clockwork. Digging out my piece of glass, I got ready for the first test and…

It worked perfectly!

There was no easing of coupling rod holes, no sighting through spokes, no head-scratching, and not even a single cuss word.

Until it stopped suddenly. Fortunately, this was easy to trace back to one of the shorting strips, which has come loose and caught on the chassis.

In short, I think we may have a winner. There will be a new, slightly wider chassis with fenders to keep the shorting strips from fouling and to leave a little more breathing space for the gear, which is too wide. However, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

4 thoughts on “Percy and the Split Axles

  1. I’m really pleased for you, Rene, Bravo!
    It’s been a long haul to get to this point, I wish you all the best.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.