Coal loads for 1120 and 622

I had already started to put 1120 together again when I realized the coal bunker was still just sheets of lead. I’ve made this mistake before, and narrowly averted disaster when I discovered that #10’s tender was not water-tight and consequently wound up dribbling glue all over the electronics inside. So, this time I did the gluing while the tender tank was a safe distance from the frame. 622’s load never got completed, and since I had the materials out, I did both of them at once.

1120’s original Bachmann tender was quite light and so a lot of lead went into the coal load, meaning the coal needed to completely fill the tender deck ahead of the tool box. Without the extension boards, it was difficult to contain the load, and more importantly the glue. Having only half-learned my lesson with #10, some glue escaped down the side. While the electronics were still safe, it made an awful stain, which after several attempts at removal, I decided to simply patch with a tiny amount of oil paint.

The coal itself is real Welsh coal from re:loads. I bought four bags, from Ultra-Fine to Fine-Medium. The bulk of the load is their Fine grade. To my eye, it looks the most like the photos of Canada Atlantic tenders.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.